mike in manila - island life

Saturday, April 15, 2006

My favorite islands... Getaway

The Sky and sea and sun ...
Honda Bay in Puerto Princesa .. is where I often would bring friends and family when I lived on palawan during my college days and early part of media life.

The sunset across the bay and over the central palawan mountain range is always something in my mind of simpler easer part of my life.

The drive out to tagburos pier and getting onto small boats to make the journey to one of many little spots tourist now track was always a fun filled time.

I miss it sometimes... I also miss the fun nights--- and the stars!
A sky alive with lights so alive I wonder if they still shine so bright that one could navigate when night fishing was a thing to to do.

I also remember the fun of being able to drift and float under the star filled sky while night swimming on the islands of friends or in boat traveling the low waves that never really got too big to handle.

It was only when one went as far as pandan island the waves got bigger...
flying over it many times I often think of what it was like long ago when the beach was the main road for people going to and from places along the coast.

I remember when the highway north was so bad- years ago... One often took a boat to get to San Rafael in the northern part of the city. Then treks by land over the mountains going down to Bahile and onto Sabang Beach and taking another boat to get to the Underground river.

then taking a boat back from Sabang to nagtabon beach... Trekking down to Bacungan and getting back into your jeep you left at Tagburos... I miss those wild wandering days of youth.

Island life... The smell of the tree's ... The wind so clean it filled your lungs and renewed your soul. Till you got a gulp of dust from the unpaved roads.

Thats also a taste I miss... dust washed down with a good gulp of rum & coke and a little calamansi.




Ah... island life of youth.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home